I may have the blues but I got chocolate!

Friday, August 22, 2014

The "joys" of breeding

Sometimes things go so smoothly. The doe kindles in the box after building a beautiful nest. She feeds them right away and all goes well. 
Sometimes she pulls out belly fur and eats it instead of putting it in the box. Them your dealing with a doe giving birth and wool block. 
Sometimes the doe chews the ears and tails off the best bunny in the litter. 

Spice did well in the giving birth department. She kindled in the box. I saw her in a couple times. 

Day 4 I found 1 dead kit- about half the litter was listless and the other half were loud and crazy jumpy. Spice had very swollen breast that were clearly full of milk. When I picked her up she whimpered when I touched her underside    . When I flipped her over she kicked the shit out of me. 

We came to a compromise- she was on top of the nest box. She let me lift her up and put kits under her. I was able to get them all feed and she felt drained after we were done. I am pretty sure I am going to loose a couple of kits but they mostly looked feed after I was done. 


No comments:

Post a Comment